Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Spelling City: Your Personal Account

I finally got an opportunity to sign up for a free Spelling City account, and upload one of my own spelling lists for the week. I was amazed at how easy it was!



I found a great website with a 13 minute video posted by a user to demonstrate how to use some of a great features of Spelling City (and how to register for a free account). You can find that video at this website: http://www.iprimary.co.uk/tutorial.php?tutorialID=005. (The link won't work as a clickable link for some reason. If you copy and paste it to your web browser, it will work.)

This is a great way for parents to quickly have access to their child's spelling (or vocabulary) words. This will allow students to sign on from wherever they have computer access to play spelling games with their spelling words. I love that teachers are able to collaborate and share lists, so that one teacher isn't responsible for adding all of the lists every week. A teacher could also use a parent volunteer to upload the lists for them! Here are the lists that I have uploaded for this week's spelling words! I could upload that link, and the parents could visit the link to see the lists that I have uploaded, without searching for them!

Enjoy this great new feature! :)

Here is another link to some explanations of the games on Spelling City.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when my students started using spellingcity. I heard about it from a parent, and then I later checked it out. The next year we added it to the list of possible spelling homework choices. I think that if teachers, parents, and IAs took turns putting in lists, it wouldn't take long to put the whole Words Their Way program in there.

    ReplyDelete