Now that you know a little information about using Google Forms, you might be thinking… how can I use this in my classroom? I found this great Google Docs slide show with 60 interesting ways to use Google Forms that is very helpful when planning to use Google Forms with your students. It is licensed under Creative Commons, so I would like to share some of the great suggestions with you! A great benefit of Google Forms is that students don’t need an e-mail address to participate, you can just post a link to your “form” on your class or school website, and the students have immediate access to the form.
Online Reading Records- Often times students in elementary school are given the homework assignment of “reading for 20 minutes.” With Google Forms students could sign online and type the book they read and one or two sentences about what they read.
Children creating Reading Surveys/Questions- I spend time teaching my children the skill of “questioning” and we often write questions for each other to answer. It would be great for students to create their own reading survey/reading questions that they could send to each other to answer. I think it would be great for me to use with my students on “worksheet free Wednesday!”
Creating a story- Students can create a template for a “story” that others fill out. Then the student will write a story using the information provided by their classmates. I think this sounds like a writing “mad libs” activity that many students love!
These are just three of the 60 ideas given on the link provided. Many of the ideas can be used with your classmates, or they can be used with the staff at your school. What a great find! Don't forget to check out this valuable resource by Tom Barrett! You can even find him on Twitter and comment about his post, or offer more suggestions!
The idea that I thought I could implement in my class immediately was the use of the "reading record." My students have a piece of paper that they glue into their journals weekly where they record the name of the book they read, and whether they read or wrote for 20 minutes each night from Mon-Thursday. I went onto Google Forms and made this form that my students could use on Thursday night to "hand in" their work. It took me less than 5 minutes to create this form that can be used weekly. I can't wait to use this more in my classroom!
If I were to design my own telecollaborative project, I think I would use Google Forms in many ways. It would be the perfect way to collect data from perspective group participants. I could then look at the information provided (class size, frequency of group meeting time, location and desired location, etc.) and pair classes together easily. It would be a dream from a scheduling standpoint. I also think it would be something that the students could create to send to other classes to get information about the topic they are studying.
There are so many ways to use Google Forms... this is only just the beginning!
No comments:
Post a Comment